Key Scripture: Ephesians 6:10-12
Introduction: So far, we have learned about our enemy and our Lord. It is now time to discuss the weapons of our warfare. When the whole armor of God has been applied and used properly, we have full protection, and are enabled to hold our ground against the enemy. Ephesians 6 lists these seven pieces of armor — seven weapons of spiritual warfare — that can be the difference between life and death for us and our loved ones.
1. Our loins girt about with truth (Ephesians 6:14). Loins refers to our minds. Peter said, “Gird up the loins of your mind” (I Peter 1:13). We must fill our minds with the Word of God.
2. Our breastplate of righteousness (Ephesians 6:14). The breastplate covers the vital organs and speaks of the heart. The breastplate of righteousness fortifies our heart against the enemy’s attacks. We must allow the righteousness revealed in God’s Word to influence our mind and touch our hearts. (II Corinthians 5:21)
3. Our feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace (Ephesians 6:15). The Word of God must affect our walk, and our life. This happens as the Word fills our mind, touches our heart, and is manifested, or seen, in our walk. It all begins with our mind. We begin to read and hear the Word, and it begins to influence and fill our heart with truth. This affects our actions and daily life. (Psalms 37:23; Hebrews 12:1-2)
4. Our shield of faith (Ephesians 6:16). Faith brings powerful results, because when faith is joined with the results of the Word in our mind, heart, and life, we can withstand the attack of the enemy, and render the enemy’s fiery darts ineffective.
5. Our helmet of salvation (Ephesians 6:17). Once the truth enters our mind, touches our heart, and is manifested in our actions, it becomes our nature. The helmet of salvation is the doctrine of the Word that brings balance to our life and keeps our walking steady in the Spirit.
6. Our sword of the Spirit(Ephesians 6:17). All the armor up to this point has served a defensive purpose, intended for use in facing the enemy. The sword of the Spirit is the Word of God, and it is intended to be used as an offensive weapon against the enemy. In three consecutive instances, Jesus Christ Himself used the Word of God as He resisted Satan’s temptation, repeatedly saying, “It is written” (Matthew 4:4, 6-7). The sword of the Spirit helps us take back the territory that belongs to us — our family, our finances, and our health.
7. Our time spent in prayer and supplication in the Spirit (Ephesians 6:18). The final weapon, (also to be used on offense) is prayer that covers and clothes us like a mantle. Prayer changes situations. Prayer changes people. Prayer is a powerful weapon.
Conclusion:The time has never been more critical for believers to be armed and ready with the spiritual weapons that God has provided. I cannot emphasize this enough. Our lives and the lives of your loved ones may hang in the balance!
Another Powerful Weapon in Our Spiritual Arsenal: Our seed can be another great weapon in our arsenal, because we can literally change our circumstances through planting toward the Gospel: “He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully”
(II Corinthians 9:6).
*We are crucial to the kingdom of God, and our giving is a spiritual weapon!
*Our faithfulness in prayer and financial support enables our local church to not only help those who are covenant members of WPFC, but to help many nations.
*It is vital in this season, regardless of what things look like; regardless to how much we have already planted financially into our local church, and even to the Body of Christ in general, we must remain faithful and generous in our financial giving.
*Without everyone’s help, we cannot effectively grow, we cannot help our local community, nor go to the nations where the need is great and souls are desperate to hear the Gospel.
*Let us use all of the “Weapons Of Our Warfare!
*I pray you are studying these spiritual warfare lessons in your personal time of study, and I pray you are enjoying these lessons.
*Our next spiritual warfare lesson is entitled “The Authority Of The Believer!”