Key Scripture: Ephesians 6:10-12
Introduction: All Christians are engaged in warfare, whether we know it or not. It is a spiritual battle (Ephesians 6:10-12). Only God’s spiritual weapons will work (II Corinthians 10:3-5). This lesson’s focus will be on knowing your enemy, but before knowing our enemy, it is vital that Christians know themselves.
• We are made in God’s image and after His likeness (Genesis 1:26).
• We have been made to have dominion over the earth. (Genesis 1:26; Psalms 8:6; Psalms 115:16)
• We were crowned with glory and honor. (Psalms 8:4-6; Hebrews 2:5-7)
• We were fearfully and wonderfully made. (Psalms 139:4)
• We are God’s workmanship. (Ephesians 2:10)
• We consist of spirit, body, and soul. (I Thessalonians 5:23; Hebrews 4:12)
Who Is Our Enemy?
Names He Goes By:
• Satan (“adversary)
• The Devil (“the accuser or false slanderer”)
• Various references to Satan in Scripture
o A murderer and liar (John 8:44)
o The tempter (Matthew 4:3; James 1:13)
o The accuser (Revelation 12:10
Where Did Our Enemy Come From?
• Let’s read Ezekiel 28:11-17.
• Let’s read Isaiah 14:12-14.
What Is Our Enemy Trying To Accomplish? What Are His Goals?
• He wants to take God’s place.
• The five “I wills.” (Isaiah 14:13-14
• He desires the kingdom, the power, and the glory of God. (II Corinthians 4:4; II Thessalonians 2:6-; Revelation 20:10)
• He desires to stop the Gospel from spreading in the earth. (II Corinthians 4:4)
How Does Satan Operate?
• Systematically and consistently according to a carefully thought out plan. (Ephesians 6:11; II Timothy 2:26; I Peter 5:8)
• Through intimidation and fear I Pete 5:8; II Timothy 1:7)
• Through people, both believers and non-believers (Matthew 16:21-23
• Through deception (John 8:44; Revelation 12:9; II Corinthians 11:14; Matthew 4:4
• Through subtleness (Genesis 3:1)
• Examples of Stan at work (Genesis 3:1-6; I John 2:16; Psalms 84:11; Matthew 4:1-11
• I trust that tonight’s lesson has reminded everyone of who our enemy is.
• We cannot effectively fight in this spiritual warfare without knowing our enemy.
• Saints let’s fight the devil!
• Know that the devil is a defeated foe!
In Your Private Time Of Study, Do The Following:
• Read and review all the scriptures in tonight’s lesson.
• Discuss with other believers who our enemy is.
• This will help with memorization of what you have read and studied.
• Next Week’s Lesson Title: “Know Your Enemy – Part 2) – It’s a more to know about the devil.
• Again, we cannot effectively do spiritual warfare, without knowing our enemy.